Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween horror

I love Halloween. It’s my favorite time of year! I especially love all the inspiration it gives me to write and read, and not just horror either, but also drama and thriller. An idol of mine, for his horror and thriller, is Alfred Hitchcock because his stories were frightening as well as thought provoking. He showed me how to make something scary and not just gruesome and thrown out there. He shows that it’s not the image and visual aspect of a story so much as it is the idea behind the story. The things I find scary in a lot of books are the subtle things and the ideas behind the actions of a character and not just the action itself. For Example his movie Rear Window was scary and it was done from the view point of man in a wheel chair watching people through a window in his apartment. The person watching the movie must think about the characters, which makes the whole movie a lot more engaging. The end of the movie (which I will not spoil) is heart pounding and thought provoking because the viewer has to think about things that happened in the movie and piece together how and what happened to the victim, and if you pay attention, tells exactly why a certain character kept doing the things he (or she) did.

No comments:

Post a Comment